Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Birth Story


I have been debating on whether I was going to put this on my blog or not, but I put Lincoln’s on so I might as well (and I love reading birth stories because they are better then any book whether it is a good experience or a bad one I love them all.  So for those of you who like birth stories I hope you enjoy because I sure did).
            Ellie’s birth was totally different from Lincoln’s, and I loved both of them!  On Friday the 5th of October, Daniel and I got moved in to our apartment finally. It was late that night that we got the last box moved in and we hit the sack.  My mom was watching Lincoln so that we could get things done a little faster.  She brought him to us the next day and later that night we went to Park City to watch conference with some friends.  We got home Sunday night and we put Lincoln to bed and I was still trying to get things put away and pulled together because I had a Dr. appointment the next morning.  My Dr. told me that if I was dilated to a five then she would send me to the hospital so I was trying to get all of our bags ready so I did not have to worry about it the next morning.  I did Ellie’s and we both called it quits for the night.  So we hoped in bed at 10:30 and Daniel fell right to sleep.  Right when I relaxed I started having contractions.  I was kind of bugged by them because I was so tired and just wanted to sleep.  I laid in bed till 12:30 just trying to get some sleep.  I figured that was not going to be happening so I started timing my contractions.  They were 3 min to 1 min apart.  So I got up and tried to finish some more stuff around our place.  I was folding the three loads of laundry that needed to be put away.  Once the laundry was done I thought I might call my Dr. and see what she thought.  She said to come in if it was getting uncomfortable.  I was a little worried that it was going to be false labor so I did not want to wake Daniel up, but I thought better be safe then sorry because we were going to have to drive and hour to get to Mckay Dee Hospital in Ogden. I tried to get Daniel up and he was out cold.  I waited a little longer and tried to get him up again and he finally woke up.  First thing he asked was have you called your mom.  I had not called her yet so I called her and talked with her for a bit and then we got all of our bags ready and headed to my parents house to drop Lincoln off. 
            We finally got to the hospital at 3:30 am and I got all checked in and changed and they checked me and I was 100% thinned and dilated to a 4 ½ . The nurse called my Dr. and she said she wanted to see if I dilated anymore in 50 min. just to make sure it was real labor or not.  Daniel and I started walking.  We walked a mile and a half till it was time to check me again and sure enough we were staying and having a baby.  I was dilated to a 5 ½ .  I then got moved to my room.  The room that I got moved to was one for those who are wanted to go natural.  (I wanted to go natural with Lincoln but was induced and was stuck in bed and I’m just glad I did not with him because of how big he was).  I then thought well I don’t think I will do it natural so I switch rooms.  By then it was 6 am and my mom just got to the hospital with food for her and Daniel.  Daniel ate and fell asleep and my mom and I walked some more.  Then I think at 8 my contractions started to slow down so they started me on pitosion (don’t know how to spell it. Lol) and at 8:30 my Dr. came and broke my water and checked me again and I was at a 7 so I thought alright well labor has not been bad so far I may as well try and do this thing natural.  (Now I never read any books or did any sort of breathing stuff or any methods of how to do it natural.  I had gotten book names from other people but just never followed threw and read anything. I was just going to wing it) My contractions started to get stronger and I had Daniel putting pressure on my lower back to help with the pain.  Now from here on out I don’t know the times for things I was just trying to focus and it was happening to fast!  My Dr. stayed close because it was happening so fast. At one point I thought ok I might get the epidural.  I think only because Daniel was bothering me because he was playing all sorts of old country music and was trying to make me feel better by trying to make me laugh but it was not working.  I was also bugged because I told him I wanted him to shower and look decent because I did not want him to look homeless when we got our first pictures as a family of four. (I know sounds retarded but I hate the hat that he was wearing, but I can’t blame him for looking homeless I did get him up in the middle of the night)  I was checked again and I was an 8 and I was uncomfortable.  My mom just said, “Sarah you are so close and you have always wanted to do this” so I stayed strong.  Next thing I know is my dad and little sister are at my room door and I’m getting ready to start pushing!  Things had been happening so fast Daniel had not given me a blessing yet. Daniel gave me a blessing and it was go time.  I had Daniel and my mom in the room this time (I was worried I would not know the right time to push because with Lincoln I was still pretty numb and could not tell if I was pushing the right way. But my Dr. said you will know and it will burn like stink! I’m still not to sure what that is supposed to mean) I was dilated to a 9 ½ when I felt like I really needed to push so my Dr. said she would take care of the last little bit of cervices so I could push.  I pushed three times and Ellie was born and laying on me!  Pushing was by far the worst part and at one point (I think during my first push) my Dr. said, “ Sarah open your eyes and breath you can do this” so I pushed two more times and bam!!!  She was born at 9:34 am it was amazing!  I then pushed and delivered the placenta and then Daniel cut the umbilical cord and Ellie was then moved to my chest.  I got to hold her and do skin to skin for a good little bit while they stitched me up.  I think I got five stitches.  They then weighed her and she was 6 lbs 7 oz and 20 inches long (So a lot smaller then Lincoln). Which I’m totally fine with because she is a girl and she can be smaller. 
            I have loved both of my children’s births!  They were totally different but equally as amazing!  Giving birth is by far my favorite part out of being pregnant.  I absolutely love being pregnant and having babies!  Having babies and raising my children is my calling in life.  With my next deliveries I will totally go natural (especially if they go as “text book” as Ellie’s. I either have a high pain tolerance or it just was not bad but it really was not terrible at all.  I was very relaxed and enjoyed the labor (other then that little bit with Daniel J) and birth so much)! But things don’t always go as planned and if I have to get an epidural than I will get one and be fine with it. Daniel and I feel so blessed to have had two great pregnancies and wonderful deliveries, and that baby and I have both been healthy and not had any problems.  I love my children so so much! They are my world.  Lincoln has totally surprised me with how he acts toward Ellie.  He is so gentle with her and loves to sit and hold her and loves to give her kisses!  It just melts my heart to see him with her.  Ellie is now three weeks old and he still loves her.   First thing in the morning I swear he is only concerned about “BEBE” and has to look at her and make sure she is ok.  He is so cute with her but its just about impossible for me to get a picture of them together right now.  I am so excited to have them grow up and to see them become great friends. 





















4 comments:

  1. You did it! You wanted a natural delivery and you got it :). You're amazing! Sounds like you handled it like a pro. Giving birth no matter how you do it is such an accomplishing feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are beautiful pictures. congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! Im glade you have had 2 wonderful birthing experiences! And glade you got to do it natural like you wanted!!!!! And i see Daniel did take his hat off for you picture of a family of 4!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. I am most impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete